An online friend of mine had her mail scattered all a long a county road. She and her husband had been expecting some large retirement checks. She had to put a hold on her mail, notify the bank, and the company who issued the checks. When she faced some of the complications,
the adversity threw her mind and heart into a turmoil. She asked for advice in our Facebook group.
“How do you calm yourself and recenter after a storm?”
This is a good question because we all have storms of life that come our way at times. She recorded a video and shared, “I hope I’m not whining because I don’t usually complain but this situation threw me.”
In the comments, I shared this advice. She and others found it helpful. I thought I would share it with you for those occasions when you find yourself in a turmoil.
10 Ways to Calm Yourself
- Let yourself have your feelings and express them.
- Vent to people who care about you.
- Pray and ask God for wisdom and for help. Praise him that he will work all things together for good.
- Ask people to pray for you.
- Do something physical, like gardening or painting or a hobby to get your mind off the situation.
- Escape through a movie or social media or a funny video.
- Pour out your complaint to the Lord. Write about your thoughts and feelings and listen to what he is saying to you.
- Put scripture in your mind that is comforting and reassuring.
- Exercise. Exercise releases stress and positive hormones to make you feel better.
- Take a relaxing bath with essential oils or shower or if you can afford it, get a massage.
You can do several or all of these things. I guarantee if you do these things, you’ll be able to refocus your mind and find a place of calm after the storm.
“Her ways are pleasant ways and all her paths are peace.” Proverbs 3:17(NIV)